Best carpet for basement in 2018 – Buyer’s Guide
Basements have cooler temperatures because of their location underground. This cool ambiance exposes basement to dampness and high humidity levels. Therefore, you should go for carpets that are resistant to the effects of moisture and humidity. A necessary precondition is your basement being water-proof and not having any existing flooding problems.
This article beams the light on the best carpet for basement based on various performance criteria like durability, material choice and style preferences among other considerations.
Table of contents
- Best carpet for basement - Comparison
- Recommended Product reviews
- How to choose your best carpet for basement
- Final Verdict
Best carpet for basement - Comparison
Carpet with Rubber Backing
Dean Commercial Carpet Tile
Nance industries Carpet
Genesis carpet squares
Kids Play Room Basement
Recommended Product reviews
Features and Benefits
- This rug comes with Ultraviolet protected rubber backing.
- This carpet comes with a low-pile height.
- The rubber backing features ribbed texture for a tractive force.
- The edges of the carpet do not bind together.
- The rug’s polyester material comes in interwoven fibers which give it strength and durability.
- Some users complained of the rubber backing melting in some parts of the carpet.
- Some buyers complained that it might be fairly expensive.
This carpet with rubber backing passes standard tests for performance and functionality. It is suitable for use in the basement. Ensure that your basement is fortified and water-proof before deploying this carpet. I recommend that you read the instructions for installation from the manufacturers.
Features and Benefits
- The carpet has anti-slip feature.
- The carpets come from proprietary materials.
- It has a four-layer condensed backing system.
- The carpet is resistant to mold-growth.
- It is resistant to moisture, vermin, and splashes.
- The Carpet has an adequate backing structure that prevents the edges from splitting.
- The carpet tiles install easily.
- It is portable.
- The tiles go with furniture and other items in place.
- The tiles can be arranged to complement the ambiance of the home or office.
- it is easy to remove and replace.
- You can install the tiles without carpet glue.
- Cutting through the tiles may prove difficult.
- Some users complained of the dullness of tile color.
The Commercial Carpet Tile ticks all the quality assessment controls for flooring homes and offices. It is also suitable for use in the basement and other areas. An advantage with the Commercial carpet tile is that you can install the tiles without chemical adhesive. For better results, read the manufacturer’s instructions at the point of installing the tiles in your basement.
Features and Benefits
- Poly Acrylic glue holds your Peel and Stick Commercial Carpet tile in place.
- The Carpet Tile comes from a long-lasting proprietary material.
- The tiles can cover over 40 square feet of space.
- The tiles have anti-microbial properties.
- The Peel and Stick Assorted Commercial Carpet Tiles are easy to install and use.
- You can cut and style the tiles as needed.
- The tiles are gentle on the feet.
- The tiles are adequately thick enough.
- The Peel and Stick do not leave any after-installation odors.
- The product comes with required accessories.
- The Peel and Stick Carpet Tiles are easy to clean.
- The tiles add an aesthetic complement to the home of office.
- Some users complained about dull tile colors.
- You may need to buy extra accessories.
The Peel and Stick Commercial Carpet Tile is an excellent option for your basement. Its base material ensures that you prevent the growth of microbes and other harmful pathogens. Installing these tiles is easy. However, you should adhere to the instructions of the producers when installing.
Features and Benefits
- The carpet is mold and mildew resistant.
- It is vacuum-friendly.
- It comes with a self-adhesive backing.
- easy to secure.
- easy to spot-clean
- The tiles come in a variety of colors to enhance your decorative choices.
- The carpet is easy to install.
- It can be machine-vacuumed or spot cleaned.
- The tiles come in a ribbed finish for an enhanced feel.
- They cut with a pair of scissors.
- The tiles are lightweight.
- Some users complained that the colors of the tiles were not so bright.
- The tiles are not a suitable fit for staircases.
The Peel and Stick self-adhesive Carpet Floor tiles deliver on all standard performance indicators. They give a good layout density and are resistant to wear and tear. A bonus with the Peel and Stick Carpet floor tiles is that you can install them on your own. Remember to ensure that you obtain essential accessories and adhere to installation instructions.
Features and Benefits
- The tiles build on EVA foam technology.
- It comes with borders to help guide your installation.
- It is resilient.
- You can unleash your creative muse with the array of bright color tiles.
- The mats are soft.
- The tiles are sturdy.
- The tiles are easy to install.
- There are no post-installation smells.
- The colors of the tiles do not wash off.
- The tiles can be vacuumed or spot-cleaned.
- The tiles are suitable for hardwood floors and surfaces.
- Some users complained that some of the tiles had dull colors.
- Some users noticed unevenly-cut tiles.
The Kids Playroom basement Square floor tiles is a great functional accessory for your basement. It is long-lasting and offers protection from falls and slips for your kids. Your kids will have a great time playing on the multi-colored carpet tiles. You should comply with the installation instructions from the manufacturers.
How to choose your best carpet for basement
Your basement is an important part of your home or office. It plays many vital functions that include serving as a storage place and relaxation center. It could also play the role of a home office. Whatever, it is always important to choose the right type of carpet for your basement so as to protect the flooring and keep in the best condition possible.
The following tips are guides to help you chose the ideal rug for your basement:
Be cognizant of the presence of moisture
Your basement is underneath your home or office. This positioning exposes your basement to cooler temperatures and high humidity. Though expected, you should ensure that water does not seep up onto your flooring. This seepage can damage whatever carpeting you employ for your basement surface.
To be sure that your basement area is free from the moisture factor, you can perform the following tests:
- Obtain and slice open a plastic bin bag.
- Secure all the edges to the floor of your basement.
- Wait for at least 48 hours. You can now observe the inside of the plastic bag for moisture. If you discover water droplets, then you have a moisture problem on at hand. Remedial courses of action include installing a subfloor or employing tile or vinyl which are useful water-repellant materials.
What is the purpose of your basement?
Before settling for a carpeting regime for your basement, ascertain the basement’s intended use. If your basement serves as an office, or a living area or a relaxation center (places that will attract much human traffic) you should select carpets that are soft on the feet and possess a certain thickness.
On the other hand, if the basement serves as a storage space, you could work with carpets that are core and provide adequate traction.
The carpet material matters
Whether your basement will be used as a storage space or otherwise, you should go for carpeting that will be hard wearing and serve for an extended period. The more conventional materials for basement carpets include olefin or polypropylene. These materials are hardwearing and also display excellent resistance to mold and mildew growth.
Carpets made from these materials are also stain-resistant and require minimal or no cleaning at all.
Some other important tips you should consider are the size of the basement requiring carpeting as well as your style preferences.
Your basement has unique characteristics. These features should play a significant role in selecting the best carpet for basement.
Although there are some basement carpets available in the market, base your choice on factors such as cost, the topography of the basement area, the level of activity expected among other factors.
It is important to purchase basement carpets that have warranty covers, so you can replace or repair them when the need arises. The individual can install most basement carpets. You could also elect to engage the services of installation professionals.
In conclusion, your basement carpet should offer safety, protection and enhance the general ambiance of your basement.